Riverview Assistant City Manager
• A native of Detroit, Dobek moved to Taylor in the Downriver area with his family when he was 5 years old. He has lived there ever since, except for the three years he lived in California attending United States International University in San Diego. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in accounting in 1987.
• Right out of college, Dobek worked for a CPA firm in Southfield, performing audits all over the country. He then worked as a corporate controller of an engineering firm in Ann Arbor and then as CFO of a building company. For the next 17 years, he served as vice president and CFO of Vertec Visual Communications, a tier one supplier to the auto industry. The Allen Park firm was responsible for visual photography, video and archiving.
• Dobek worked for the City of Taylor from February 2010 to January 2019, serving two mayoral administrations. He was responsible for Golf, Parks and Recreation operations, Lakes of Taylor and Taylor Meadows golf clubs, the Taylor Sportsplex, the Taylor Recreation Center, the Heritage Park Petting Farm, all the parks and the city pools.
• At the time he was hired in Taylor, the city’s two golf courses were facing a five-year deficit plan that was being monitored by the state. He was able to get the lead the courses out of the plan and on to operate without state supervision.
• A long-time hockey player and coach, Dobek competed for such teams as the Detroit Junior Red Wings and his college team, finishing his collegiate career as the school’s all-time leading scorer. He has guided numerous youth teams to regional championships, league titles and other honors. He is a member of the Taylor Sports and Recreation Hall of Fame.
• “I really like Riverview,” Dobek said. “It’s a quaint community with great people. It’s a good place to work. There are definitely a lot of talented employees.”