Get resources provided by your Veterans Memorial Library
From the Library
October is here and we are ready to celebrate with fun activities for the entire family to enjoy! All of our activities and Take & Make days are free to all community members and require nothing more than a quick registration and curbside appointment.
October 21 – Take and Make Day: Halloween Puzzle Art
Curbside Pickup: 12 p.m. – 6:45 p.m. (call to schedule your time)
Registration starts: October 14
Registration ends: October 20
Puzzle pieces will be transformed into outrageously orange pumpkins and neon bright aliens. Kits include puzzle pieces, googly eyes, ribbon, glue and canvas. Quantities are limited and will be distributed on a first come, first served basis.
October 26 & 27 – Halloween Story “Drive-Thru” and Halloween Flair Contest
Parking lot between Library & Community Center: 5:30 p.m.
Car registration is required by phone.
Limit of 25 cars per day.
Registration starts: October 15
Registration ends: October 23
Join us for our first ever story drive-thru and costume contest. Registration is required to help us adhere to COVID-19 regulations and to ensure all participants receive treats. We ask that you remain in your vehicles during the event, except during your photoshoot. Please wear a mask / face shield.
Story Drive: Book pages will be on large display along a clearly marked driving path. Families will read the story and fill out a scavenger hunt sheet as they go. Half way through the story craft kits will be handed out. Those who completely fill out the scavenger hunt will receive treats at the end of the story.
Halloween Flair Contest: A photo station will be set up at the end of the story read. One family at a time can exit their cars and take pictures. Send your favorite pic to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be entered into the contest. The family that exhibits the true spirit and fun of Halloween (cool Halloween shirts, costumes, silly faces etc.) will win a $25 gift card to Barnes & Noble.
On-going services and resources How to Get Items with Curbside:
1) Place items on hold online (preferred method) at catalog.tln.lib.mi.us or by calling 734-283-1250. You can easily locate items when searching by title, author’s name or series name.
2) You will receive an automated notification that your items are ready to be picked up. Please call and schedule a time to pick up your materials. We will check out your materials over the phone, so please have your library card number handy.
3) When you arrive at the library during your pickup time, please stop at the curbside sign located near the front entrance and give us a call. We will deliver your items to your car (or bike). If you do not have a cellular phone, please let us know at the time of pickup scheduling.
4) In an effort to ensure the safe handling of library materials, staff members will not accept returns in-hand during pickup service. Please return all items to the dropbox located on the side of the building. (around the corner from the bike rack)
5) Patrons should expect a slight delay in returned items being removed from their accounts as incoming materials will be held in quarantine for 96 hours before being processed by library staff.
eBooks, Overdrive & Libby
There has never been a better time to give eBook reading a try! The Library has thousands of books and audiobooks available for free through the Overdrive database. These materials can be accessed 24/7 on your eReader or smart device. We recommend downloading the American Library Association’s free Libby app for quick and easy access to eResources. The app gives readers the ability to browse, download and read books on any smart device through this one-stop app. Detailed instructions can be found by visiting https://riverviewpubliclibrary.com/digital-collection/. If you have any questions, please call us at 734-283-1250 or email us at email@example.com. We will respond as soon as possible.
Need a library card to access online materials?
We are issuing library cards throughout the closure which are necessary to access online materials. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, street address, phone number and birthdate. We will process your card and email back to you your new card number and pin. Please allow a few days for processing.
As we remain closed, here are a few helpful reminders:
·Our dropbox is open 24/7 and is located on the side of the building around the corner from the blue bike rack. All items are being quarantined for 96 hours so it may take a few days for the items to be removed from your account. We are no longer charging any late fines on materials, so fines should not appear on your account.
·Please be aware that materials that are more than 8 days late will be marked lost on your account. Patron accounts will be blocked until materials are returned. Patrons who have lost books that are not returned will be charged book replacement costs.
·We will not be accepting donations until further notice. Please do not leave books in our mailbox or anywhere outside the library. All donated materials will be thrown away.
·WiFi is available on the outside of our building. If you sit on your bike or in your car on the north side of the Library you will have access to our WiFi signal. A password is not required.
·If you are having trouble with your library card or would like to register a new card email email@example.com. We will respond as soon as we can.
·Visit our Facebook page and/or riverviewpubliclibrary.com for up-to-date information concerning the library and for updated links to resources that may help inform and entertain you from home.
Stay Safe and Happy Reading!